Friday, July 8, 2016

Sitting Pretty

Seven years ago when we moved into this house, Prince Charming suggested we mount a porch swing outside from the deck off our bathroom.

It seemed like a great idea, but we never got around to purchasing the swing.  Instead we purchased these lovely wicker rockers.









And pretty much everything on the porch


Last year Prince Charming bought this long couch, under the flag banner, so that on Sunday afternoons I can stretch out here and pretend to read the newspaper as I take my Sunday nap.


I picked up the rocker and the little chair at garage sales.  The lamp and the two chairs which I'll show you in a minute I found at one of my favorite consignment stores, Bonita Things Quality Consignment. This store often has cute furniture sitting outside their door to lure me in. Here's a close-up of the lamp.


And the two chairs that match it have lovely little details, like the cut-out in the back.


Back detail


Front detail


A couple of years ago I decided to replace the metal chairs that used to sit here with these much more charming wicker chairs. The two I found at the consignment nicely rounded out the seating arrangement.  Much more charming that metal chairs, don't you think?

Not to wander too far from the topic of hand, that is the worry of were to sit.  But my generous niece, Melynda (read about our previous adventures here), loaned me this lovely little wicker planter.


I think the fan, adds to the vintage feel of the porch.


Prince Charming thinks this vintage fan, adds to the overall clutter that screams, crazy-little-old-lady-lives-here.  He keeps hiding the fan.  I keep finding it and putting it in a new place.  It's a lovely game we play.


We also have this wicker chair for quiet reading on the "reading patio".


And this wicker rocker by the front door where P.C. takes his morning coffee in the sunshine.


And this wicker glider on our bedroom balcony.


I nest here in the shade to write this blog.  You could join me here for a cup of coffee.

So you might feel just the slightest sympathy for P.C.'s stand that we have ENOUGH DARN PLACES TO SIT!!

But still, I had my heart set on a porch swing.  Someplace to sit and hold P.C.'s hand, maybe smooch a little as we watch evening creep across the yard.  And so last month when my birthday rolled around look what Prince Charming brought home!


Yes dear readers, a porch swing.  Isn't it charming nestled here?  In a couple more years the autumn clematis that Ann (see the previous post about the butterfly lady) gave me will wrap completely around these posts, creating my own little slice of heaven right here.  Come join me for a spot of tea, won't you?!

Now let's take a quick run over to Charlie and Linda's for a garden tour and festive 4th of July celebration.

We're continuing the theme we started last week with Linda's garden (read about it here) with another neat and tidy garden.  Charlie is an engineer by training and it shows in the absolute pristine layout of his gardens.


Makes you want to pull up a chair and lounge in the beautiful shade, no?


Look at these gorgeous vegetable gardens.  To me, seeing a garden like this is like watching the Olympic gymnasts and ice skaters, they make it look so easy to be talented and graceful, that you can fool yourself into thinking, "I can do that too."  But I've tried and failed too many times.  So now I just admire the skill, persistence and talent of gardening masters like Charlie!


A masterpiece! Not a weed in sight.

Linda, Charlie's wife set a festive table for our celebration of the 4th of July.


And the most delicious shrimp gumbo I think I've ever had!



Beautiful gardens, a new place to sit and swing with that darling P.C. and delicious food.  It's been a charmed week.  Hope that you too had the blessings of good friends, good food and beauty all around.  Take care of each other wonder ones until next week!

One more of Charlie's beautiful garden to see you into the weekend.




No comments :

Post a Comment