Friday, November 13, 2015

Riding Lessons

Wednesday night's forecast called for snow. The days of riding Lullabelle all over town are drawing to a close for 2015.




















Riding on streets flaming with color this fall has been such a pleasure.


Starting as early as April, Lullabelle comes out of storage, gets a once over by the guys down at Bike Tech and hits the road. Lullabelle and I wander the streets of our town spring, summer and fall.
  


She's got nifty rear baskets for hauling, in addition to the front wicker basket.


The trickiest part of riding Lullabelle is deciding on a riding "costume".  Often I'm riding to a meeting, or lunch with the girls or some other social engagement which requires something other than

spandex or a proper English outfit.


I love wearing skirts and I have a closet full to choose from.


I thought this made a sporty riding ensemble.  As you can see the skirt is fitted through the hips. (lordy until I looked at the picture I had no idea how FITTED. Honestly, I thought (hoped) I looked like the lass in the English riding get-up.  In next week's post we will discuss the power of denial.) 

It's important to get the cut and the length of the skirt just right to preserve one's modesty and dignity.

The wind, ahead of the storm, was gusting up to 40 miles per hour and some of my ride was downhill straight into the teeth of the wind.

The skirt didn't start ballooning up around my hips until a mile into the ride, giving passersby the kind of peek show usually reserved for dark, damp, out of the way bars.

I was late for lunch, and halfway to my destination before I realized I couldn't possibly adjust this skirt  to provide even modest coverage. What to do?!



Loudly singing a merry verse of "I see London, I see France, I see somebody's under-pants," I sailed up and down hills, through intersections full of cars with people thinking, "Now Mother, that's not something you see every day: a woman riding her bike with her skirt flapping in her face." I rode past scandalized school children walking home for lunch.
Like Bob Dylan I improvised the time structure trying I See London in waltz, polka, and rap rhythms. 



The entire city sighed with relief when I reached my destination -- The Laughing Tree Cafe. 



Where my friend Eliz Guyer pours a mean cup of tea and serves locally sourced good food.


Eliz reminds me of a sprite.  She is a good soul, always willing to lend a hand, clever and able to make magic with food, tea and people.

When placing my lunch order I shared my ballooning, flying skirt problem. 

"No problem," Eliz said, "here's lunch, a spot of tea and a rubber band. When you're done with lunch bring me the rubber band and I'll show you a little magic with your skirt."


Curious and relieved at the possibility of not repeating the "show" on the way home, 


I met friends at a table overlooking the Cedar River.

After lunch Eliz worked her magic by pulling the back of the skirt to meet the front and wrap the rubber band around a quarter.  Now I sported the latest fashion trend:


Gauchos! 
No flying skirts on the way home.




 Prince Charming says I'm on my way to being a fashion plate for Matrons Wear Daily.

The weather's warming for the weekend....time to get one last ride in.  Wave if you see me on Lullabell!


No comments :

Post a Comment