Friday, November 6, 2015

Serendipity


Recently I spent an afternoon at my friend Linda's kitchen table drinking wine with Linda, Diana and Judy.

I had a lot of stuff I "should" have been doing.  I should have been home cleaning MY house, I should have been checking on room availability for the new Sunday school class, I should have been mailing out birthday cards and notes of encouragement to dear friends, I should have been putting a press release together for a film festival.




Instead I spent the whole afternoon drinking wine in front of a cheery fire in a stone hearth in Linda's kitchen talking about philosophy, politics, the French philosopher Montaigne, sexuality, romance with our husbands, children, and friends who occasionally annoy us--it was great fun!

Reflecting back on the day and how it all turned out, the house eventually got cleaned, the Sunday school class went off without a hitch, some of the birthday cards arrived a day or so late, and we decided to wait on the press release until we had more details ironed out.

I could have hurried home and missed out on Serendipity!


My dear friend Linda is my Serendipity Coach.  Just look at her house, it's full of little "moments".


Linda jokes that this is where her husband, Bob, pays the bills


Wouldn't you love this hornet's nest, minus the hornets of course, in your home? Linda confesses that there "might" have been just a few hornets left in the nest when she originally brought it in.  No hornets the afternoon we spent in front of the fireplace next to the nest!




I fell in love with Linda's orange chairs, 

and this little cutie (Annie) too!

Linda teaches me that laughter, friendship, good books, great conversation are all worth taking time from the "shoulds" of life.



In order to allow serendipity to sneak in, you've got to allow wide margins in your life.  When I studied art history in college, the professors talked about white space, or negative space as integral to design.  It wasn't "empty" space.  It serves a visual and harmonic purpose.  Just as wide margins in life serve a larger purpose. The only way to have time for serendipity is to leave empty space on your calendar.  Really can any of us accomplish more than three things in a day? 

I've found just trying to get three things done each day cuts into the possibility of allowing magic to occur.


Is there room at your table for magic, whimsy, chance?


If not, if your life is too crowded by "shoulds", how might you clear a little space for chance?!
When I lose inspiration, I just book a session with my Serendipity Coach Linda!


I'm as guilty as the next person of making life too crowded. Won't you share with me how you're making room in your life for Serendipity? 

No comments :

Post a Comment