Friday, June 24, 2016

It's a jungle out there


The gardens have all developed a definite jungle vibe. The heat, rain and lack of attention are really showing in every


single



garden.

This garden, in addition to looking bad is hindering the sight line at the corner.  I almost pulled out in front of a car this week.  Tsk, tsk.


Prince Charming led the way by trimming the bushes out front last week.

Before:

Don't be fooled by the abundance of gorgeous blooms.  This is a riot of vegetation under all that pretty which P.C. neatly trimmed back (once the flowers were done blooming!)


I know, not as "pretty" as the first photo.  But trust me, necessary.  This bed will look lovely again at the end of August into September when the roses burst into their second bloom.

So I've started this week tackling the beds....slowly....methodically....ugh!

But so much better!


Before


After.  I can walk to the composting bins now without brushing against plants.  and I can see the stone path P.C. laid a couple of years ago.


Before


After.  That yellow yarrow spilling out into the drive is one of those plants I love to hate.  I love it's bright yellow flowers next to the lavender.  And both do well in this tough spot next to the hot cement of the driveway.  Not an easy feat.  Plus the yarrow blooms most of the summer.  But frankly it's like having a badly behaving teenager living with you.


It flops exposing a hollow middle.  It's independent minded and aggressive in it's growth habits.

I cut it back to 1/3 it's original size and staked it.  But it's on the same kind of notice I gave my children when they turned 18.  Live by the house rules or you're out of here.

I've got all kinds of excuses for letting my gardens reach such a chaotic tumult.  I was traveling in May, the usual gardening month.  I've never lived in a house or had a garden as long as I've had this one.  It's seven years old now.  And it may that dogs and gardens age at the same rate, making this garden middle-aged.  Like me at middle age, the garden is spreading at the middle and getting a little loose and carefree with appearances.

There's also the good-time excuse. Once I returned home, there's been so much fun to have out of the garden.

We had the College Hill Art Festival



Swimming, tennis, bike riding, and kayaking


P.C. catching some sun

There has been Hello Dolly at the Oster Regent
Photo courtesy of Oster Regent

Cocktails to sip on the patio


Dinner parties on the porch


Community band concerts



It's a Charmed Life here with Prince Charming and so I can't grumble as I pull and stake and try to tame the jungle.

Oh and I almost forgot we have new neighbors and they just hatched!


While we were tripping around France, robins built a nest in one of the giant pots off our bedroom deck.  I've been keeping watch and giving them their space.  There were four eggs to start and it looks to me as though two hatched and made it this far.  They have feathers now, so I expect they'll soon be flying the nest.  Too bad they haven't offered to help weed.

Another charming distraction, David called to invite Annie and me over to see his gardens.  They are weed free and incredible!


Just look at his holly hocks!  Beautiful.  That's David on the left, Annie on the right.



Look at David's neat rows and his weed free garden!! More on David's gardens next week.  But Prince Charming says it's swimming time so gotta scoot....sure don't want to miss any of the fun of summer.

Hope your week has been full of summer fun too.  Take care marvelous readers until next week!

Just so you don't lose faith in me completely.  There is one garden that's looking fabulous!


Don't you just love the way those white "snowballs" on the hydrangea pop out of the shade?

Oh and one more thing before I ring off.  Here's a cocktail recipe perfect for hot, summer nights:

Equal parts: Gin (or vodka), pineapple and grapefruit juice.  Garnish with fresh mint and a slice of pineapple.  Though I have to admit I prefer mine with slightly more grapefruit than pineapple juice.  Play around with this recipe and let me know how you like it!

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment